Monday, August 20, 2007

Pretty Quiet at the Fish Pond


Forest fires, boat races and other news events have kept me very busy and I only managed to make one visit to the pond this week.

When I got to the pond there were seven or eight Wood Ducks and Mallards scattered around. They were all very nervous and since I didn't notice any eagles or other large birds around I thought it was because of my less than stealthy approach.

With the lack of rain here in my area the banks of the pond are very, very dry. I got to take the express route part way down the slope to my blind when I hit a spot of dry dirt an slipped. Even though there was no one anywhere near me I will admit that I still popped right up and was quite embarrassed.


After dusting off my backside and my ego I spent a little time making note of the first color changes in the leaves and the late summer flowers that are blooming not only near my blind but all around the pond.

What I didn't see until it was to late to get a photo was the young Bald Eagle that has been hanging around the pond lately. I just caught a glimpse of it when the pine limb it had been perched on shook violently as he lifted off.


The other thing I hadn't noticed was the Great Gray Heron that was huddling in the same tree about twenty feet below where the eagle had been.

Since the heron was very much exposed I take it that the young raptor, while still intrigued with the thought of the heron, has decided it might be to big for him to handle. Intrigued is probably not the heron's opinion of the whole situation though and when the immature eagle drifted over the pond an hour or so later he tilted his head up and voiced his thoughts to the young bird of prey.


After two hours of watching the the heron stretch, groom and rest I was ready to try to sneak out of my blind and head for home. The heron was hungry though and decided to liven things up with a little fishing.


It only took him about thirty seconds to grab a small trout then start looking for another. I was surprised at how fast he spotted his second target and really surprised by how big the fish he brought up was.


I couldn't believe he managed to swallow the thing. I can see how herons have been known choke to death on prey that is too large.

After inhaling the larger part of his lunch he hopped up into the woods and out of my sight. He reappeared a few minutes later when he jumped up onto a branch in the dead Tamarack tree that stands near the ponds inlet stream.


He cleaned his beak, burped up some sort of liquid a couple of times and then left when something on the far end of the pond startled him.

While it wasn't the most exciting trip to the pond it was as always interesting. Always something new to see and hear.

Get outside and explore! Its a wonderful world!

Have a great one.

Kevin

No comments:

Post a Comment