Sunday, September 9, 2007

Ducks, Ducks, Ducks


Since the end of the mating season there have not been a great number of ducks hanging around the pond. Not until this week anyway.


Arriving in groups of two to four birds there were Wood Ducks and Mallards everywhere. They were grooming themselves, eating and resting on the trees all around the edge of the pond. Everytime I though I knew how many were there a couple of new ones would pop out. Twenty two was the highest count I got.


Since ducks are one of the favorite prey animals of most Bald Eagles I am surprised that they have not been around. The ducks certainly don't seem to mind their absence and they are taking advantage the piece and quiet.


The young Great Gray Heron is also capitalizing on the late summer feeding opportunities at the pond.


After being surprised at the size of the last couple of fish I have seen him catch I was amazed at one I saw him tackle this week! It was so big I think he was embarrassed to be seen gulping it down.


He dragged it way up onto the bank and made a couple of attempts to swallow it whole. When he couldn't get it down he made his way back to the edge of the pond for a drink to wash the dirt off of his beak and possibly to lubricate his throat.


After wandering over to look at a smaller dead fish that the crows and a seagull had been feeding on he moved the larger fish up behind several trees and after three more attempts finally got it down.

When I was young my mother used to tell me I must have had a hollow leg to be able to eat as much as I did. Since even if a heron's legs were hollow this fish would never have fit into one I began to wonder just how much stomach a heron actually has.


When he jumped back up on his perch to let his lunch start to digest you could see the rough shape of the fish's tail still in his throat. I put together the before and after lunch illustration to see if I could show that this bird really is just about all stomach.

I am guessing that the reappearance of the large number of ducks means that fall migrations are soon to begin. Hopefully not too soon though as they are fun to watch as they move about the pond.



It's a great time of year to get outside and enjoy the world around you. The weather is crisp in the mornings and warm in the afternoon and evening. The woods are starting to show their colors and the wildlife is very active as the animals prepare for winter.

Don't miss it! Get out and explore!

Have great one.

Kevin

No comments:

Post a Comment