Monday, October 1, 2007

Fall Showers


Unlike a spring shower that warms you with thoughts of the coming summer, rainy fall days carry with them the first true chill of the approaching winter.


My friend the heron has remained very close to the pond all week and he seems to have become very tolerant of me. He often sits where there is no doubt he can see me moving around the banks of the pond but I don't seem to bother him enough that he feels scared enough to leave the pond. He does keep his distance though and I won’t be trying to get to close to that beak of his anytime soon.


If the weather follows our typical fall pattern there will probably be plenty of steady light rains over the next couple of weeks. When it does rain now the clash of warm rain and cold pond water causes a layer of fog to rise and drift over the water’s surface.


The ducks don’t seem to be at all thrilled about fog. They appear nervous and when the fog thins they are usually huddled together somewhere just far enough off the shore to be safe from any danger that might spring out of the trees.


The heron didn’t seem to mind the shifting levels of visibility too much. He flew across the pond and back a couple of times hunting and fishing in different areas along the bank. When it got thick enough that I almost lost sight of him he just seemed to hunker down on a perch and wait it out.


All these weeks of photographing the different types of interesting wildlife around the pond you would think that the small common songbirds wouldn’t be something I would be very interested in. It’s certainly not that I have not been interested in them. It’s that they are danged hard to get a good shot of!


I finally got a couple of them that I thought might be worth sharing though.






Take advantage of the remaining warm weather. Grab an umbrella and go for a walk! It’s a great season to be outside!

Kevin

No comments:

Post a Comment