Friday, March 4, 2011

Ok, I’ll admit it. After going out to shoot for the blog again I was selfishly thinking “now I remember why I don’t do this very often this time of year.” “Its cold, its wet, the light is usually terrible and there are lots of ducks. Not usually too much else, but lots and lots of ducks.”

Of course just as I’m walking towards the pond and thinking that, one of the ponds new eagles flies right over my head. “Crap, now I have to get excited about being here again.”

Its seems surprising that seeing a Bald Eagle fly over my head still gives me a thrill but it does. Of course it doesnt hurt that this female is very large which makes her very impressive. By large I mean, if you imagine the size bird it would take to carry off a small dog you would be thinking about her.


I guess the cold weather snap must have made the pond one of the most attractive places on all of northern Michigan for every type of bird within 50 miles. Yes there where lots of ducks. At least 50-60 Mallards had found their way to the pond this morning. Not that Mallards are all that exciting, well not until they all decide to leave en masse I guess, but mixed in with them were several Gadwall and Mottled ducks that are not often seen here. They are probably making their way north and the fact that the sun was actually shining today meant that there was great light for getting pictures of them. Now I have to get even more excited about being here.


Then, for the first time this year, I see one of my favorite pond residents, the Belted Kingfisher. I didn’t get any pictures of him but it was fun just to hear his loud chatter as he flew back and forth across the pond.

Ok, so now I’m glad I came out today.

One of the birds that I have been unable to get a good shot of is the Pileated Woodpecker. So this morning when one flew across the trail in front of me it was neat to see but I certainly didn’t think it would sit still long enough for me to photograph him or her. Not only did it decide to be kind to me and land somewhere I could get a shot of him once but it actually gave me two chances. Call me boring but I’m starting to think this day is awesome.

But wait! What else did we find visiting this morning? Mute Swans.



The swans don’t find their way here very often, maybe two or three times a year, but the open water and the hills around the pond that block the wind probably make it one of the warmest spots in the county on a chilly morning. The male was fun. He saw me approaching the water and decided to show me how tough he was. He would swim back and forth along the far side of the pond and then turn and swim directly at me, building speed until he realized I wasn‘t going anywhere. Then he would sit floating with the breeze and staring at me. Almost like he was challenging my presence. The female could have cared less that I was there. She just swam back and forth dipping her beak into the water to grab a bite.

Regardless of their disposition they are very beautiful and graceful birds.

So now I am really, really glad that I came today. I thought maybe it was because there was so much to photograph and new things to see but it really wasn’t either. I guess its because, like every year, the pond knows spring is coming. Larger groups of birds and new varieties of waterfowl passing through. Old friends like the Kingfisher and the Woodpeckers busily making their way from tree to tree in search of breakfast and, even though there is a fresh layer of snow on the ground, the sunlight just seems warmer.


Whether your a fan of the snow or can't wait for spring to arrive get outside. Even if you think you've seen it all there is always the possibility that your wrong!


THIS POST IS DEDICATED TO:
SANDRA MEYER - Cancer Survivor - Diagnosed February 7, 2003

3 comments:

  1. Dear Kevin.....Thank you for the beautiful visit to the pond! Your photos, as always---breath taking. and you were not the only one the eagle flew over...somehow i was there, too.....it is a good omen.....

    i am sending hugs and good energy to you and Lenora....can you feel it? .....take care...as i know you do.... ....your friend..Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Kevin, for the dedication and lovely pictures. Sandra is my mom. 8 years ago I wondered for the first time what I'd do without her. These years have been a gift.

    Annie

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are some beautiful pictures of fish pond. The ducks and eagle trying to capture fish from the water. really nice blog!!

    ReplyDelete