Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Well, this post will be far from exciting to most. It is certainly exciting for me though!

First, to avoid confusion and save typing time I think I’ll start referring to the eagles that have been coming here for years as the “Lake Eagles” and the newer pair that have been working on the nest near the pond as the “Pond Eagles”. Since the older pair nests near the shore of a local lake it pretty much makes sense.

After not being able to visit the pond for a while I was glad to get outside for a visit. I was really excited to see that the Pond Eagles were not only still around but that the female appears to be sitting on eggs! Since March 20th was the first date I observed her down on the nest I am going to guess that, with luck, sometime around the third or fourth week of April they should hatch.

After seeing her I forgot all about walking back to the pond and I drove to the spot from where I can see the Lake Eagles nest. At the distance I was from the nest it was hard to get a decent picture but with binoculars you can see that one of them was down flat on the nest and being very still. That was the second thrill of the day since it indicates they may also be sitting on eggs.

If they both are successful at hatching a couple of eggs it could get very crowded around here in the fall. I hope it does!

Get outside and discover something new! Its springtime and its easy to do.

THIS POST IS DEDICATED TO:
CAROL LEMMEN, Fighting Cancer, Diagnosis Date Unknown

No comments:

Post a Comment