Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Almost 25 years ago I spent an early spring day out taking random photos with a friend. I remember him saying that he didn’t like this time of year. With the lack of color and the generally overcast skies he thought it was a waste of time to be trying to take pictures of anything.

I didn’t necessarily agree then and the more I’m out and about in the early spring the less I find that to be true.

While there may not be lots of flowers and leaves there are more photo opportunities than you can count if your into wildlife. Birds are returning and are either busy courting and competing for mates. Some are already sitting on nests. Deer and other mammals are out trying to replenish weight lost over the course of the winter.

Around the pond there is a lot happening. Mergansers and Mallards are busy chasing each other about. No wood ducks yet but I’m sure they’ll be back soon.



I can’t tell for sure yet but the pond eagles act like they might have hatched something. If they haven’t it won’t be long. I saw the male chase off a large Red Tailed Hawk yesterday. Being double the hawks size though it there wasn’t much argument from the hawk.


This Canada Goose has been around for a couple of days. I was looking for a new spot to photograph from and I didn’t realize he was just 60 feet or so from where I chose to sit.


At first he just lowered his head and hid behind a piece of the branch he was sitting on. It was a “If he can’t see me maybe he doesn’t know I’m here” kind of thing.

At any rate it “is” a wonderful time of year to be outside. Pick a spot somewhere to have a seat and enjoy the world around you!

THIS POST IS DEDICATED TO:
Sr. Kathy Payne, Cancer Survivor - diagnosed

No comments:

Post a Comment