Saturday, July 21, 2007

Rainy Day Bonus Post


Thursdays visit to the pond didn't start out all that great but it wound up being fun as usual.

I didn't get out until late this morning so when I arrived my friend the eagle was already there. I could see him through a small opening in the leaves perched in his favorite tree. Since I couldn't approach the edge of the pond while he was there I had to wait until he took off after a seagull that had been sitting on the pond before I could set up.

Watching the weather radar before I headed out it looked like the storms making their way across Lake Michigan were going to stay to the north of the pond.

Of course I could have been wrong....


Other than one molting Mallard drake and a very brief visit from an eagle the only animal that saw fit to brave the waves of showers and thunderstorms that rolled over the pond was one I have not seen here before.


If you live on either coast of the U.S. or fish in the central section of North America you have probably seen a Cormorant of one type or another. In this neck of the woods fishermen hate them. They always seem to get more than their fair share of the blame for the shrinking fish population in many local lakes. Given their reputation for having such large appetites I was certainly glad that there was only one of them.


Even though everything I found about Cormorant's says their wings are not very oily his wings seemed to be coated in enough to lubricated a small car engine. He certainly wasn't bothered by a little rain!


Remember, on all types of days, in all kinds of weather life goes on everywhere around you! Get out and enjoy it!

Have a great one.

Kevin

No comments:

Post a Comment